Monday, August 30, 2010

First Day Part 3

This post is a continuation of the previous one, in which I describe my first three days on the job. This is the good one! Still no pictures, however.

My third day teaching called for me to travel a goodly ways out of town to a school of six students. When I entered, I encountered a flying hug from a third year student, and was made to play some kind of dodgeball derivative for fifteen minutes before I encountered my first (of two) teachers.]

This day was my best yet - the kids were very warm to me and to each other. The nature of such a small school meant that the kids were like a family - the older ones help the younger ones out and theres not as much conflict as I would have expected, even in ball games that would otherwise have a potential to get ugly (dodgeball with 12 year olds and 8 year olds together). This was also my second Japanese school lunch, which is great except for being forced to down a whole carton of whole milk. The kids are really vigilant about this, so you can't cheat.

Things are looking up now - I'm much more confident in my ability to plan and run classes, and this week I will be doing my first repeat class - ie not self-introductions.

No comments:

Post a Comment