Tuesday, August 10, 2010

"This is Tanaka-san. She is crack."

Today, ALT #2 and I got to escape the steam bath of the office to go for a drive (I keep thinkng of this whenever I'm there). We went around town to visit and tour our various schools. For the most part, the English teachers were gone on summer break, with the Principles or Vice-Principles manning the fort. I was offered tea at every school, and had to use the bathroom three times.

Seeing all of the schools was a really good experience, even if all the students and teachers were missing. I was able to set up pre-class meetings with several of the schools, so that I can ascertain what they are looking for from me and what the kids may be expecting. The schools run the gamut from 50+ year old ruins full of ghosts to incongruously new buildings in the middle of rice fields, and students range from 250+ to one school with a whopping total of three. One thing every school had in common was a level of support that was, to an American, shockingly high. Even schools in the middle of nowhere with more staff than students had up-to-date personal computers for the kids and large-size LCD screens for lessons, and music and art rooms were universally well-supplied. One school invited me to use their drumset "Any time," which would be tempting if the school wasn't 35 minutes away.

I am settling well into life here, and next week I'll be heading to Sapporo for Hokkaido orientation. After that, it's time for the kids to come back. I'm looking forward with trepidation and excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment