Saturday, July 31, 2010

First Day on the Job

After my less-than-stellar introduction to the staff at the Board of Education, I was determined to make a splash on my first full day at the office. Since I arrived in Monbetsu on a Thursday, I was asked to come in the following Friday. I got up early and made sure I was dressed to the nines, despite the relaxed summer dress code, and went in about fifteen minutes early. Thanks to a tip the night before from my apartment's previous occupant, I had prepared a short introductory speech; I was fully prepared to make up for my lackluster and jet-lagged display from the day before.
Japanese offices are set up as clusters of desks in an open room. The entire Monbetsu Board of Education (BoE) staff resides in one room, with the exception of the superintendent, who has his own office. The three below him have their own desks along one edge of the room; everyone else has desks in clusters according to department, with the head of that department seated at the end of the cluster. My desk is next to that of the other JET, who hasn't arrived yet. Unlike in an American office, no cubicle walls or other dividers separate desks from each other; the idea is to foster open communication and group spirit.
Shortly after arrival, a few of the higher-ups talked for a while about current events. I couldn't understand what they were talking about, but it seemed pretty long considering that school is not currently in session and it wasn't about me. After this, everyone in the office talked briefly about what they were up to... and then it was my turn! I've never been more thankful to have prepared something in advance. After this, it was time to begin the workday.
My normal schedule, once school begins again, will be to show up at the BoE on mornings that I don't teach early classes, and stay there until I leave for classes. On some days, I won't go at all, and on some days when I don't have classes I'll stay there all day. Since school is currently out, I get to stay at the office all day long for the next two weeks. Terrific!
After lunch, I got taken out to see to some of the necessary paperwork I had to complete. I applied for my official Foreigner Card©, which proves to the police that I'm not a Russian gangster (in theory). I changed the name on my apartment from my predecessor's name to my own. We tried to open a bank account, but discovered that the Foreigner Card would have to go through first... not a huge deal, since I won't be getting paid for a month and a half. Most importantly, I got a cell phone! Not having had a functioning cell for the last week had been very uncomfortable to me, and now I get to puzzle out all the various bells and whistles ubiquitous to Japanese cell phones. So far, I know that my phone will track how many steps I've walked, and can be set to automatically broadcast my blood type (Japanese equivalent of horoscopes). The wonders of the modern age.
Tomorrow I'll go back into the office and start my first proper full week of work. At some point, I'll be taken out and shown how to drive a manual transmission, and later this week the other new ALT will be arriving. Exciting times in the city of Monbetsu! Next time, I'll talk about my introduction to the official Drinkin' Street here. Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment