Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Secrets of Shinjuku

Quick update from the lobby of the swaying tower of the Keio Plaza Hotel, the swanky palace in which we've been put up for the last three nights. I've arrived here in Tokyo and had my head stuffed full of facts, ideas, and advice, and received a literal eight pounds (three kilos?) of paperwork, guidebooks, and forms. I've met a whirlwind of other JETs departing for all ends of our new country, and met an old friend for dinner and some drinks (nothing better to get the rusted gears of language turning again). Today I'll leave for the city of Sapporo in Hokkaido, where I will be meeting my new supervisor. From there it's a 7 hour bus ride to my new town, Monbetsu. I'm not sure if we'll do that today or tomorrow. Updates will follow when I can. As a side note, I'd like it to be known that the Japanese think that the upper right side of the keyboard, where ' usually goes, is a good place to put the + key. The @ sign, usually on shift+2, is over by enter and has it's own key; shift+2 is ". Oh, Japan, you have much to learn.

3 comments:

  1. Monbetsu will be such a cool place! Safe travels to Hokk!
    Oh and I gave up on using Japanese keyboards a long time ago. You can never really get used to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do the keyboards have those stupid ass super short space bars?

    ReplyDelete